August 23, 2010

Travel: Number 5

So I got to the East Coast!!
Last month Rob and I went to Massachusetts for Granny's 90th birthday. We came into Rhode Island, and spent the day traveling back to Granny's house in Fairhaven, MA.  We had lunch in Newport and drove past the Breakers and other Newport Mansions. You can check them out here: http://www.newportmansions.org/.
We then met Rob's aunt Rita, at her house and talked about the party two days later. When we finally got to Granny's Rob and I were dropped off one house down and instructed to wait a bit before walking up the drive, as we were Granny's surprise. Granny's house is very nice, with no central air, but there is breeze and shade, which makes it nice inside.
Friday we went to explore Martha's Vineyard. Martha's Vineyard is a very popular place to go, and the day was overcast and rainy, but it was great walking around there. I fell in love with the black dog. I bought myself a shirt, my mom a shirt, an umbrella, and dog biscuits for my black dog. I also wanted to go on their long boat charter, but I didn't have the time. Oh well, I guess there will have to be a next time. We were also there for the Oak Bluffs Monster Shark Tournament, which was interesting. So many people were up in arms about it, but honestly those that were caught, and not released, (many were released, and only certain species that are not considered threatened are targeted) were examined by marine biologists. I'm not one to say go out and catch every shark, but if they're used for food and research, I'm not going to start a one woman protest.  We also saw the painted/gingerbread houses that are famous.  They are very cute and quaint.
Saturday we drove around Fairhaven where we saw the Old Stone School House which is where I also got info on Manjiro (who attended school there) who not only is a folk hero in Japan, but also attended school in the one room building.We drove from there to the Millicent Library which was just gorgeous. Rob and I got some great pictures there, that I will post to my picasa account soon. We then drove around to Fort Pheonix, the harbor and across the bridge to New Bedford.  Our drive went through downtown New Bedford and past the Whaling Museum (something that will have to wait till next time), back across the bridge and to the site where Rob's Grandfather is buried.
After the graveyard tour we headed back to Granny's and started preparing for the party and talking with is family. We had a clam boil, which of course was complemented with beer and talking. The food was really good, and everything was lots of fun. The evening was ended by watching home movies that Dave had converted to DVD from his computer. Rob was kinda cute when he was a baby...he acts the same way around presents as he did then, haha.
Saturday Jon, Anna, Rob and I went to Boston. We followed the Freedom Trail around the city, stopping where Mother Goose is buried, the Union Oyster House, Paul Revere's House, and the Old North Church.  I think the best part was when Rob asked "is this a legit church." Instead of "is this an active congregation." Oh well. This is another place that I would love to go, just Rob and myself, because Jon and Anna have been so they wanted to rush through everything.  We did stop at Quincy Market which is in the Faneuil Hall Marketplace. That was a lot of fun to wander around in, and the criticism ice cream that we shared was well worth it. We did some more wandering on our way back to Boston Commons, and then took a driving tour around BU and Fenway. Back at Granny's we made chicken burgers for dinner and turned in early for the disgusting 4:30am wake up call and drive to the airport for our 6:30am flight.
That was my experience, but I hope that it was not a one time only deal. I really hope to go back and explore some more with out people who have seen everything so much that they aren't really interested in stopping and looking. Plus I want to see Bunker Hill and the USS Constitution. Harvard would be cool to see as well. Till then, I still have pictures.
Yay for one more down.

No comments: