April 23, 2010

Exercise: One 5K Down.

Alright, so I really should have posted this earlier, but on April 17th I participated in the Shoes for Austin Shoes for Kids 5K at the State School.
I was not prepared and had very little sleep, so thank heaven it was not timed.  The start of the race was all the way at the back of the school, and the registration tent was between the start and the parking lot.  That being said, I had not gotten my registration pack the day before and I was running late, so I had to go to the registration tent and pick up my bag and t-shirt.  I then walked back to my car to put on the shirt and bib, and then started to try to find the beginning. Well, I didn't start at the beginning, I started as close as a cared to(the start was on the other side of the building) and was dead last the entire time.  I take it as some one had to be and it might as well be me.
Anyway the route went around the grounds twice, I did the full thing the first lap going around the parking lot and back to the start.  I was even photographed(I think) as finishing, though I wasn't done.  Because I hadn't started with the rest I had missed the critical pass between finishing and continuing, apparently I was supposed to veer to the left.  Determined to do all 5k I went back through the gate, got back on the familiar path and kept going. I skipped looping the parking lot and finished the route.
There was food and pizza provided afterwards, but being slightly embarrassed about being dead last either way you slice it, I continued my trek back to the parking lot. I count it as 5K because what I skipped was made up for by going back and forth to my car and the last trek from the finish to my car. I was done.
I'm glad it wasn't timed, but when it was all said and done I was running/walking for less than an hour, so I'm happy with that.
Lessons learned:always pick up your packets and always get enough sleep.

No comments: